Monday, November 23, 2015

Addison

Last Thursday, my daughter presented an unusual request. Well, let's say unusual for the normies out there. This request was typical of Addison's personality. She wanted to bring her umbrella to school. The sky was slightly overcast but certainly no chance for rain. I guess she read my confusion because she proceeded to explain.
"I'm a vampire and don't want the sun to burn me."
Made perfect sense.
We have been enjoying the Adventure Time miniseries "Stakes", a 6 episode arc centered around Marceline the Vampire Queen and her origin. If you haven't watched Adventure Time, I highly suggest you stop what you're doing and watch it. Greatest show ever.
"No problem." I told Addison.
So worth it seeing her smile the way she did.
Now, we had not yet eaten breakfast, so I pulled into the convenient store she and I frequent from time to time. Addison unbluckled and grabbed her umbrella. I stood with her door open and stared in silence. This is one of those times where my brain goes into overthink mode and time and space freeze. A million thoughts process and spiral from one end to the other. The first thought to fully form was to tell her to leave the umbrella in the car. She would ask why. I would try to make up a reason so as not to say "because I don't want people to think we're weird."
Then, another thought. A better thought.
Do I want my daughter to grow up with the worry of how others view her?
If she took the umbrella into the store, would anyone come to harm? No.
Time and Space unfroze and life resumed as normal.
"Sure." I said.
Addison held the umbrella from car to store, loudly declaring she needed protection from the sun since she was a vampire.
I am glad and thankful the Holy Spirit gave me pause. My initial desired response to tell Addison no was purely reactive due to years of social fear instilled by an unhealthy childhood. I don't want history to repeat itself with my daughter. I don't want to live with that fear anymore. I have an opportunity to give my daughter a mentally healthy life, so we will let our weird, creative, and freak flag fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment