Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Another Night

Cranked out 585 words tonight. The chapter is flowing nicely, and I will probably have it finished either by tomorrow night or Thursday night, which means I will have all weekend to tweak my notes and go over the game plan for Chapters 15 and 16. I find it is best to plan the chapter out in its entirety before sitting down to write it. Once I finally found my niche in story telling, and hated wasting time on so many revisions, edits, and complete rewrites, I decided that this was the best approach when tackling a short story, novel, or script. Some friends of mine who have decided to test the craft have asked me if I ever deal with writer’s block. My immediate answer is always, “No.” They seem perplexed by this, especially when I tell them I don’t think writer’s block exists (a statement I read from Philip Pullman once and has always stuck with me). They ask me my secret and I just tell them you have to plan out your story, chapter by chapter, before actually writing it. That way, when I actually sit down to write, my brain can focus on the words and style because the content is already there.

Anyways, I am off to bed. Early night, I know. It’s not even 9 yet, but I am so damn tired. I hardly slept last night due to all that coughing. Hope these sinuses quit acting up soon.

Until another night strikes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment