Monday, September 16, 2013

Spiral Effect Book 1: Alex Wonder

Another week before us. Last Thursday, as I was hoping, I finished chapter fourteen to Yahnolite Histories. So, this week, I decided I would begin work on the next part to The Spiral Effect. It has been awhile since I worked on this story. I think it was late June  or early July when I published the prologue/prelude to the series. Spent the weekend thinking of ways to start it and came up with some really good ideas. Much better than I had previously intended. About three weeks ago I had actually written three pages to this new arc in the series, but those are trash now. This new beginning is waaaaaay better. And I used six a's in that way, so you know I'm serious. This new beginning to the Alex Wonder arc has a much better flow to it. Definitely has a better pace and effect for not just this arc, but the entire series.

Pacing, wow, something I used to be terrible at in story telling. I must say though, over the years, reading Dostoevsky (That guy was in no hurry), and taking the advice of a couple of friends, I have learned to take my time, and give the story a good pace. Don't want it to go too slow, no, no. But I always had a problem with it going too quickly. I am sure taking adderall has helped some too. Nevertheless, the pacing is a big deal. While the prologue/prelude to Spiral Effect is around 36 pages, I plan on each individual serial novella to fall in 70-90 page range. I had been wondering how I would pull that off, but with this new beginning, which I can use as a kind of theme for the beginning to each arc, I see no problem hitting 70-90 pages. I want those pages to be important and necessary, not filler, so that's why I am stoked about how this new arc starts off.

Tonight, I got off to a good start and hit 781 words. I was a little worried and hesitant about starting tonight. Still battling a sinus infection (got some antibiotics on Friday, which have been helping, but damn this Oklahoma weather.) and I was pretty damn tired after work today. But, after buying some wine, I decided, watching TV and falling asleep is not a good way to end the evening.  So, I wrote for an hour, and definitely got in a good start to Spiral Effect: Alex Wonder. I hope to finish by early October to give me a chance to revise and edit so that I can have it up on Amazon no later than the beginning of November. I really want to release each episode of the series no later than once every quarter, have a good consistent flow to the stories and give readers a consistent time frame of when each arc will be released. A good many people have already told me they cannot wait until the next episode. Never been good at deadlines, but this is a good way to start.

Enjoy the evening my friends. Until later.


No comments:

Post a Comment