Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Style

So, I have been pondering style this week. Should I wear a fedora again? Perhaps grow a mustache. Stuff myself into skinny jeans?

Uh...not that type of style.
Right.
Remember where you're writing.
On the internet.
No humor accepted on the web.
Conversations with myself leave little room to the imagination.
Then get on with it.

Style. The way I craft a sentence. Word choice. Diction. Inflection. All of the wonderful elements of writing. When it comes to fiction, I love it. My heart, soul, body, and mind connect with the story in a spiritual way, so of course, I want to share my stories in a way that immerses the reader into the dream he or she forgets it is a book, forgets the story has a writer. I enjoy experimenting with style in fiction. Some may not understand, but I experience joy rewriting a sentence five, ten, twenty times to get it perfect. Now, I don't do this with every sentence, typically at the beginning. Because once I really set the stylistic tone of a novel, it flows much easier as the story progresses.

Blogs, Non-fiction, summaries, synopsis, whatever else is a pain in the ass in regards to style. Why? I think it is because in the realm of non-fiction, there is more of a temptation to show how well you write as opposed to what you say. Of course, maybe it's just me. I typically think, "want people to notice a blog, use a style showing brilliance and word mastery." Well, that takes all the fun of running a blog, hence the lack of daily, hell, weekly blogs. I want people to see what I can really do as a writer; so, I will have them read my fiction. Well, not too many people are keen on reading a unknown author's work, let alone pay 1.99 for it. All right, then let's set up a blog. Yay, now I can spend over an hour typing and editing so I can sound as pretentious as possible in the hopes of a reader stumbling upon my page. Sending prayers of, "Lord, may they find me brilliant and thank You and all Your Glory for creating a writer like me." Blah. No time for that. I'll stream my thoughts. Expunge words. Vomit ideas. Shit opinions.

I'd rather expend stylistic energy to describe a scene.

Why ramble about this? Well, the entire reason I write, the idea rattled around my mind. And that's a writer. Ideas float in the noggin, can't rest until it's on paper or a screen.

Also, this is a fucking blog. Let's get over myself, huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment